Got a very nice email this evening from a reader of my Soap Opera From Hell, he discovered the story after Thanksgiving and really hoped I was going to continue it – I last updated it at Christmas, 2010. It’s been a third of a year since any new material got posted… yet still readers are interested.
Nice to know… makes for the guilt though… just a bit.
From past experience I know that when I post Chapter 60, it’ll hit high in the downloads stats, as well as the score stats for recent downloads. That’s really kind of humbling, given Sturgeon’s Law and how it applies to my SOFH.
If only it were a nice, small story and not the daunting monster it’s become. I mean, yeah, I have to be in a certain headspace to enjoy writing my form of erotica, otherwise it’s a horrible exercise in “variations on insert tab A into slot B, lubricate when required, repeat as necessary” and that’s about as much fun to write as I imagine being a resume doctor is. But the other issue with just picking up and working a little on “Oil” is that even with all my notes and charts and such, it’s 750k words, metric mega-fuck-tons of characters and plot lines – keeping all that straight without a lot of rereading and such is a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
Elsewhere in the writing part of my life, I finally finished the manual archiving of my LiveJournal, I’m in the process of repairing the damage done to the sole surviving copy of my NaNoWriMo project…
Okay, a bit of an explanation, so you’ll understand just what a technobarbarian you’re dealing with here. I composed the vast majority of the project in Scrivener. When I was very close to the end of my labors in November, I submitted what I’d completed to the NaNoWriMo site for a word count. They turned it into some kind of file, I can’t remember what type.
In the meantime, hooting and grunting at the shadows dancing on the walls, probably flinging poo at them as well, I erased the Scrivener files – all of them. That took extra-special effort on my part. I did it so well that Dorris couldn’t find a ghost of them anywhere, on any computer, in any format. They were gone.
But I had this copy in the I-can’t-remember format from NaNo… so I found a way to translate it into a Word doc… but the process left the file messed up – lots of trash to be cleaned up.
Now, any time I start feeling too bitchy about it, I remember just how close I came to losing 80% of my work, and how it felt when I thought I had, and all of a sudden, I stop bitchin’… for a while. It’s deadly dull, repetitive work and I hate it only slightly less than doing punctuation revisions.
But it isn’t lost, so I can cope.
Submitted a story to a website that publishes a story a week, and at the end of the year will publish them all in an anthology… haven’t heard back yet.
The Oz story is still sitting with the editor – I haven’t heard anything negative, nor positive, so I’m real unsure what’s going to happen with that one.
Wow, that’s enough damn words for this time of night…
Listening to: Dragula – Rob Zombie
Mood: generally okay